Whole Wheat Lemon Sprinkle Cookies (Vegan)
If you put lemon in something, I immediately want to eat it. It’s a character flaw, and I’m working on it. Just kidding, I would never ever try to remove anything lemon from my life. Lemon bars, lemon pies, lemon cookies – I love them all. In fact, I keep a large stash of lemons in my kitchen so I’m never deprived of those sour beauties.
Speaking of character flaws, I’m the worst kind of impulse buyer. I try my best to never go into stores alone, but unfortunately, last week I went into a craft store alone and somehow ended up in the baking section. After so much debate and rationalization, I bought a huge tub of sprinkles, among other things. Once I got home, I took one look at my beloved pile of lemons and new exactly what I was going to do with them – lemon sprinkle cookies!
These cookies have a nice, lemon flavor. It’s not a kick-you-in-the-face like how I like my lemon bars, but it’s light and makes for a perfect Spring/Summer-time cookie. The sprinkles add a touch of adorableness and a little extra sweetness, so please don’t leave them out! If you’re a strict vegan of dairy free, please be careful what brand of sprinkles you buy because I’m sure not all types are vegan. You can also make your own sprinkle’s using the recipe on Chocolate Covered Katie.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, butter, or margarine – melted (I used coconut spread)
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other milk choice)
- 3 tbsp sprinkles (Jimmies)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two baking sheets with nonstick spray or parchment paper.
- Combine melted oil/butter, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined, then add the milk. Stir until almost combined, then add the sprinkles.
- Roll dough into balls and place on prepared sheets. Bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheets.