Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Challenging myself and Josh with a gluten free week has been pretty amazing. I haven’t had any revolutionary health improvements, but I knew I wouldn’t because I’ve had gluten sensitivity tests, including a pretty conclusive stomach biopsy. The major benefit of gluten free week is it’s forcing me to cross off a bunch of foods from my blogger bucket list. The item at the tippy-top of the list? Cauliflower crust pizza.
I’m sure everyone has seen this recipe everywhere already. It’s all over Pinterest and I know a lot of bloggers that have posted about it. But how could I not? A wholefoods way to make a pizza crust which includes a hidden veggie! Check the blog title. Can’t resist.
Rather than re-invent the wheel, I went to Hannah’s blog Clean Eating Veggie Girl. She combined a few recipes to make hers, plus we have pretty similar tastes in foods. I knew if she liked it, I’d like it. Plus everyone else would like it I kept mine simple and topped with mozzarella and green olives. My only downside in this recipe is that I felt like I could really taste the egg (even though there’s so little egg in it). I didn’t think flax would bind well enough, but next time I will definitely try a chia egg. If anyone tries a chia egg before me, let me know! Then you could make this vegan with Daiya cheese.
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 c low fat mozzarella
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pizza sauce
- cheese for topping
- Additional pizza toppings, as desired
- Olive oil spray, Italian seasoning, garlic powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rice cauliflower using a box grater or chop into chunks and send through a food processor until the cauliflower is in small, uniform pieces (similar to rice).
- Microwave cauliflower for 7 minutes, or until soft. Press with paper towel to remove excess moisture and allow to cool.
- Stir egg, mozzarella, parm, salt, pepper, and garlic into cauliflower.
- Spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or spritzed with nonstick spray to make an ~10” round crust. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the crust is golden and crispy.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and additional toppings, as desired. Spray the exposed crust with olive oil and top with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, if desired. Bake until cheese is melty.
Nutritional stats are for crust with ¼ c sauce and ½ c cheese topping.