Vegan “Beef” and Avocado Quesadillas
Thanks for everyone’s kind words over the last week or so. I’m feeling great, Josh is doing well, and Chester is just about to his normal self. A secondary problem when I don’t feel well is that I start to spiral into some pretty bad eating. Because cold water made my tooth feel SO much better, I’d been eating
my weight in a lot of ice cream. Bad eating = feeling yucky on top of already feeling yucky, so I’ve been cleaning up my act with some tasty vegan noms.
I probably say this every day of my life, but tacos are amazing. I make some sort of taco at least once a week. One glorious week, I made them 3 days in a row. The beauty of tacos is how easy they are to fit any sort of dietary needs. Vegan? Make TVP tacos. Gluten free? Use corn tortillas. Quesadillas on the other hand, are just as delicious but not as versatile. Making a cheese-less quesadilla is A. a little confusing giving the name pretty much has cheese in it B. asking for a huge mess. Enter my easy vegan cheese sauce. Because this sauce already has the consistency of a melty cheese, all you really have to do is crisp up the tortilla and enjoy.
- Heat a nonstick pan with a spritz of nonstick spray or a teaspoon of olive oil (or use a quesadilla maker if you’re lucky enough to have one!)
- Spread a layer of cheese sauce on one side 2 tortillas.
- On one tortilla, cover the cheese in a layer of TVP taco meat and ¼ of the avocado slices.
- Top with second tortillas, cheese side down.
- Cook in pan for 1 – 2 minutes, until slightly browned and crispy. Carefully flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Prep time includes the time to prepare the TVP taco meat and nacho cheese sauce.
You may have enough meat and cheese to make more than 4 quesadillas, depending on the size of tortillas you choose and how full you stuff them.
Now that everything is sorted, I hopefully will be back to my regular MWF posting schedule. Stop by Wednesday for a giveaway